The Multilingualism Accelerator is a curriculum which enables children to learn foreign languages faster and to become more confident in their language-learning abilities. It was based on the propedeutical idea, i.e. that learning a model language, in this case basic Esperanto, if it is limited to the 300 most frequently-used morphemes, can boost children’s language learning skills. Several studies have shown that learning the model language Esperanto for one year may increase the speed of subsequent language learning by up to 30%. The reason is that such a model language is very easy, has no exceptions and functions logically. It enables children to easily understand the underlying linguistic principles by taking apart and rebuilding words and sentences. It is thus far more effective than other languages, burdened by many exceptions to rules, in motivating students. They learn by autonomously constructing their own sentences.
Through this course, children playfully learn the basics of an analytical language, and this gives them clear ideas about how languages are organized. Children understand grammatical terms such as plural, the basic two cases (nominative and accusative), how to create sentences, and acquire the ability to create many new words from the basic roots and affixes present in every language. This gives learners a clear view of the structure of languages in general, known as meta-linguistic knowledge.
All materials are developed for language teachers who have no previous knowledge of Esperanto and the didactic material thus contains grammar sections and detailed guidelines to help teachers prepare for class.
The materials were developed as a part of the project co-financed by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Commission.
- Izvori d.o.o. (Croatia) → www.izvori.com
- Inter-kulturo d.o.o. (Slovenia) → www.inter-kulturo.si
- Univerza v Mariboru (Slovenia) → www.um.si
- Studio Gaus GmbH (Germany) → www.studiogaus.com
- Sredno uchilishte Hristo Botev (Bulgaria) → www.hristobotev.org
- Osnovna škola Retkovec (Croatia) → www.os-retkovec-zg.skole.hr
- OŠ Rudolfa Maistra, Šentilj (Slovenia) → www.ossentilj.si
- Edukácia@Internet (Slovakia) → www.ikso.net
- Syddansk Universitet (Denmark) → www.sdu.dk